Local cherries at this time of year are absolutely delectable, so sweet and juicy, hands down my favorite fruit! This wholegrain rice salad is full of tasty bits of treasure. It’s also quick to assemble, especially when you use leftover rice from the day before. This salad keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for two to three days.
- 125 g wholegrain rice
- 40 g dried sour cherries
- 10 g dried berberis
- 200g cherries, halved and de-stoned
- 5 spring onions, in thin slices
- approx. 15 g flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 50 g chopped almonds, toasted
For the dressing
- 2 juniper berries, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. sour cherry jam
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1/2 orange
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Himalayan Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cover the rice with cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 18–22 minutes, until cooked.
- Drain the rice and let cool.
- Make a dressing with the juniper berries, cherry jam, vinegar, oil, orange zest and juice and the crushed garlic. Season to taste.
- Roughly chop the cherries, and add them to the rice together with the berberis, dried cherries, almonds,spring onions and parsley.
- Drizzle with the dressing and give it a good stir.