Well, my new lifestyle starts today. I can do this! No more added sugars for 21days. So no more sodas and no alcohol. This is allegedly going to fix my blood sugar and stop me from craving sweets. Perhaps not the best day to start a sugar detox, since I’m having a terrible migraine, but on the other hand, I have less cravings when having a migraine, so that should be good to get me through the first 3 days.
Furthermore I am going to eat but healthy, homemade foods, lots of fruits and vegetables and drink liters of water. And ofcourse, portion control.
I kick off this first day with some lemon water, followed by an open toast with some fresh made hummus and sautéed mushrooms. Traditionally hummus is prepared with chickpeas, but cannellini beans are even more nutritious with more protein and fiber per serving. If you can’t find canellini beans, substitute them with regular white beans
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon za’atar
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- Just put everything in a food processor and process till pasty.
Flavor to taste with salt and pepper
- Transfer to a bowl and top it with some tahini, za’atar, sumac and lemon peel.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir some sliced mushrooms, 1 crushed garlic clove, za’atar in generous quantity, salt and black pepper in the hot oil until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Finish with a good squeeze of lemon
- Toast some slices of bread (watch out, most storebought breads contain sugar), put a thick layer of hummus on it, top it with a royal amount of sautéed mushrooms, drizzle some tahini over it and top it with some za’atar, chopped parsley and lemon zest.