This looks like a simple broccoli and cauliflowers casserole with a creamy cheese sauce, which it is , but in the sauce is packed with lots of healthy vegetables. The base of the sauce are cannellini beans, adding lots of protein and fiber to the dish. Roasting the broccoli and cauliflower prior to adding the sauce gives the dish so much more flavor.
- 1/2 broccoli, in florets
- 1/2 cauliflower, in florets
- 1 tablespoon – olive oil
- 1 can (250g drained) cannellini beans
- 300 ml rice milk
- 100gr Gruyere or Emmental cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp. shallot powder
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin powder
- 1 clove garlic
- handful fresh parsley leaves
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets.
- Toss the florets with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast on a large baking sheet for 20 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the cannellini beans. Put them in the blender and combine with milk,75 g cheese, mustard,garlic, shallot powder, pumpkin powder and a pinch of salt. Blend till you get a smooth, silky sauce. Add some more milk if the sauce remains too thick.
- When the florets are done roasting, take the baking sheet out and leave the oven on. Put the florets in a casserole and pour the sauce evenly over the veggies. Top with the leftover cheese.
- Place back into the oven for 25-30 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with some parsley powder, pumpkin powder and some parsley leaves.