This delicious salad is based on a recipe by Brooklynsupper. I found it so inspiring that I wanted to give it a try, adding my own touch to it, and sharing it with you. Make sure you check out this awesome blog by Elizabeth Stark and Brian Campbell. Quince and Brussels sprouts sound like a really unusual combination, but they worked very well together. The brussels sprouts are roasted at a high heat to bring out the natural sugars and caramelize the edges.
- 1 ripe quince
- 500g Brussels sprouts
- 50 g pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 2 tbsp. (lemon infused) olive oil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 50 gr crumbled feta
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 small shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 210°C.
- Wash, peel and deseed the quince, and cut into thin slices.
- Toss the slices in a large bowl, together with 1 tbsp. (lemon infused) olive oil and 1 tbsp. maple syrup.
- Roast on a large baking sheet for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the Brussels sprouts in thin slices and put them in the same bowl you used for the quinces. Toss with 1 tbsp. (lemon infused) olive oil, 1 tsp. maple syrup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast on a large baking sheet for about 15 minutes, turning halfway through. Check to see if the slices are tender. If not, leave them in the oven a bit longer.
- Meanwhile, coat the chopped pecans with melted salted butter.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on high, turning it down to medium just before adding the pecans. Cook the pecans and stir continuously with a wooden spoon so they will cook evenly and not burn.
- Remove toasted pecans when they start to turn a little darker and set aside to cool.
- Make a dressing from the olive oil and 2 tsp. maple syrup, the lemon zest and –juice, mustard, finely chopped shallot and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with the roasted quince and the toasted pecans, drizzle with the dressing and finish with some crumbled feta.
Sprinkle the dish with some crispy baked bacon .