I dehydrated sweet potatoes. Why? This powder is an excellent addition to baked goods recipes in place of regular flour, without all of the gluten. and it is perfect to thicken up sauces and soups. And as a bonus these potatoes are very high in beta-carotene, vitamin C, manganese, copper, dietary fiber, vitamin B-6, potassium and iron.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash potatoes, and poke holes on all sides of potatoes. Put them on an oventray and roast for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a bit. Now is the moment to peel the potatoes if you do not want to use the skins. But if you have organic produce, and you washed them thoroughly, you can leave the skin on. Eating the skin will add more nutrition to your plate such as fiber and potassium.
- Roughly chop the potatoes, put them in a food-processor and blend until perfectly smooth. Add a little bit of water if needed.
- Spread the purée on paraflexx sheets and dry them 24 hours at 52°C until dry and brittle. This took me 27 hours, but it depends on the humidity in the area where you are drying it.
- Let the dehydrated sweet potato leathers rest on the racks for an hour or so to let them cool and to make sure they are very dry.
- Save the crumbled leathers in airtight glass containers for long term storage.
- I have grinded a portion to powder with a coffee grinder and placed them in a spice jar for immediate use in the kitchen.