I like the traditional Italian flavors of this dish but since I was trying to make a healthier version of this dish, I skipped the red wine. It’s a great dish on its own, but pairs wonderfully with some pasta and a crispy, green salad.
- 800g boneless chicken breast
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 150g shiitake, sliced
- 150g nameko mushrooms
- 150g king trumpet mushroom, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 tomatoes, chopped and peeled
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- Himalayan salt and Black pepper just before serving
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Brown the chicken in batches, about 5 minutes a batch, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan and sauté the onions, bell pepper, celery and mushrooms for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, cook for another 3 minutes, and transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and spices to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Salt and pepper to taste, then serve.